Tuesday, May 8, 2012

setback

My head is killing me.  Well, not literally, but it feels like it sometimes!  It's definitely killing my joy!

My initial rush of excitement about the right meds doing the trick on this noggin of mine is starting to fade, with a sudden increase in the severe migraines that I typically only experience once or twice a year.  I've had three in the last four weeks, on top of my regular headaches, and they are not reacting to the abortive medicine, Frova, that once worked for me.  I called the doctor to today to let them know that things are sliding.  Hope to hear back soon.  I fear the word "injection" is on the horizon. 

This migraine thing is a challenge.  I feel like a complainer.  I hate saying, yet again, "Please be quiet, Mommy has a headache."  What a bore.  I really just don't want a headache.  Is that too much to ask?

The last round of information was that our current plan seemed to be working, and that I needed another EEG to see if an abnormal brain wave and low seizure threshold had corrected itself after two months of a new medicine.  Another tidbit of unwelcome news: I'm not allowed one drop of alcohol for about a year!  I'm not a big drinker, but hearing that it was totally out of the question feels a little bit restrictive.  I mean, really?  It's summertime!

As Mike and I prepare for our first weekend away in years, I'll be ordering a Perrier, I guess.  And that trip with our high school pals on the Kentucky Bourbon trail in July?  Well, that won't be quite what I imagined.  But at least the group will have a designated driver in tow.

This temporary personal prohibition really isn't a big deal.  It's the thought of a headache arriving on vacation that is worrying me sick.  I'll do anything to have a headache-free, marriage-building weekend away.  Cheers to the doctor calling soon.

Oh, and there is some good news: a new pal seems to be an expert on the best non-alcoholic beveridges around.  Can't wait to try her favorite, Buckler, St. Pauly Girl NA, and surprising top-choice, Busch NA, sometime soon!


No comments: