Sunday, March 2, 2008

Published!

It has been a busy, but very cool week for me personally. I feel so incredibly blessed by the writing work that has quickly found me, in such a short time. At this point, all I know is that I am for sure supposed to be on this road, at this time – too many signs are telling me so. My first published work that isn’t membership based went to print this week – it was a couple of tiny articles in a local publication. It would have been exciting to me, even if no one I knew saw it, but they did and they called, and emailed and even sent flowers. It was pretty cool.

I’m really good at exaggerating things a bit when it fits or minimizing others. I guess I need to entertain those minimizing thoughts for a moment. The fact is that this all was a little embarrassing, too. I’m not sure what it is that makes us all a little ashamed when we achieve some type of personal success, but I have felt that this week, too. I mean we are talking about two little blurbs in a not well-known magazine, that I didn’t get that much money for – see that’s how I rationalize it in my head. And then there’s the other voice that says simply, “That is YOUR name in print! That is SO cool!” And the fact that so many family members and friends are so happy for me is pretty neat too – everybody needs to feel that every once in awhile. And it also feels great to have this minuscule facet of my life that is just mine, to investigate, play around with and improve upon. It won’t effect anyone else, but me – and compared to the rest of my life (which I would never trade for anything by the way), that is kind of a relief.

If I can keep this going and growing slowly while continuing to manage everything the same at home (with the exception of a cleaning service and the occasional afternoon babysitter which I will splurge on as soon as I make a little more money), I can already see that this will be my dream job. I feel so lucky to have found it. I feel so honored that my family and friends directed me here; not giving up after so many years. I am grateful beyond words that I have a husband who’s been willing to support pretty much anything I’ve wanted to do since we’ve been together and kids that can will at least try to be quiet if I take the rare, but occasionally necessary five minute call during the day. I don’t know…. This feels pretty good!

2 comments:

susan said...

wonderful things happen to wonderful people!

n8 said...

I could not be happier for you. I loved seeing your name in print. Now don't forget the 'little people' you have known for years once you are famous. Tiffany