Friday, November 16, 2007

Bizarre Love Triangle

Okay, so if I had imagined it, which I have not, I would have guessed I’d be writing this post in ten to fifteen years. It seems that we have a little love bug on our hands with Miss Riley. Apparently, there was a classroom romance in the works between two of her classmates and all of a sudden, she’s gotten in the middle of it!

The teacher told me that she has never experienced this boyfriend/girlfriend stuff in a 3 year old classroom before. She wanted me to know about it, just in case Riley said anything. She has mentioned this little guy’s name before, but I thought nothing of it – of course! I guess the first little girlfriend has lost her spot with Mr. Casanova, who is now going around telling everyone that Riley is his girlfriend. Girlfriend number one is totally devastated and cries all through school! Now the poor teacher has been forced to separate the boys and girls so that she doesn’t have to deal with the emotion of it all in the classroom – can you even believe it?

Riley overheard her teacher telling me this at school pick up today, so I felt that I should say something. I just told her that she is much too little to have a boyfriend. I said that she can be friends with everyone, including boys, but cannot call anyone her “boyfriend” for many years. She said, “Okay Mommy.” It seems like it’s no big deal to her.

On the way home, I called Mike to let him know, with a chuckle, that I got my blog material for the day. After some needed clarification, I told him the story. Surprisingly he just said, “Hmmmm.”

And then, “So I guess I’ll have to buy my gun earlier than expected, huh?”

The teenage years seem very scary indeed.

No comments: