Saturday, November 1, 2008

Slow down and laugh!

Some things just shouldn’t go unnoticed. That’s why, to my own detriment, I have to get this one down on the books. Our Halloween was jam-packed with no school and loads of activities: the grocery store with all three kids out of total necessity, seeing High School Musical 3, a huge neighbor party with a giant inflatable and all sorts of cool spooky sugary kid stuff (including a slushy machine with “blood” and “plasma” flavored drinks), trick or treating and another neighbor party until the wee hours. It was a kid’s dream come true.

Finn held out longer than expected, but crashed around 8:45. I have an early morning meeting this morning and went home with him while Mike stayed behind with the girls. After running back to the party to snap one picture with all the other adults dressed in costume, I ran back across the street to enjoy Finn’s sleeping silence and the end of my beloved current read, Twilight. I ran, to elongate my time alone at home after such a kid-centric day.

So let me stop here and tell you that I didn’t have night goggles on and that the age of 37 does not arrive with infrared vision. Take note and please beware of those ginormous blow up decorations – they are anchored with ropes and steaks that are apparently much stronger than quadriceps, as well as invisible at night. I flew down the stairs, hit the rope and exploded into the air in a blast of glory. It felt like ten minutes, arms and legs draped in 1960’s hippie costume flying everywhere; John Lennon sunglasses thrown. I landed so hard my head immediately hurt (or was it the martini?) and I was sure I had a gash on my elbow.

I looked around. Not a soul had witnessed this display of grace. All I could think was, “What a shame!” I laughed and limped all the way home, wishing someone could have absorbed this humorous humility. Exhausted by my day and sore from my fall, today I am grateful for humor in my life. If you look hard enough, there is always a reason to laugh! Hope you get a chuckle out of my spill, too.

1 comment:

mary said...

Oh no!

I was reading your blog and envisioning the Halloween you so perfectly described. My smile held firm throughout and I was glad for you to get that moment to enjoy a read without interruption (as "Spiderman Finn" peacefully slept).

Then - YIKES - my expression changed to horror as the picture of you flying through the air took over my mind. That was not the ending I expected. The humor you found was sort of lost on me cause I so wanted you to have that tranquil ending to your incredibly busy day. Now in retrospect, knowing your bones are all in tact, I can chuckle at the sight you being shot through the air that Halloween night 2008.

Finding the humor is one magical part of what makes you the amazing person you are and teaches lessons to your children (and those around you) about how NOT to take life so seriously.

I just wished you had been able to joyfully walk home and snuggle into a cozy chair to finish reading your book. Certainly, it would not have been as interesting a memory, though.