Sunday, June 19, 2011

security breach

What it shocker it was a few weeks ago when Logan approached me right before leaving for school to announce that two neighborhood friends had told her that Santa was not real. She started her conversation by saying, "Mom, you know all the things that I believe in?" That question threw me for a bit of a loop, but she soon added,"Like Santa and the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny?" I chuckled that this is the sum total of what my nine year old believes in.

She quickly told the story of two little gals who informed her that, even though I would tell her differently, her parents really are those things. They even went so far as to try to convince her by adding, "Our Moms are who told us!"

I stood, stunned, waiting for a direct question, to which I instantly decided that I would not answer with a lie. It never came. Instead, Logan said,"Mom, I just asked them to please stop saying these things to me. I said that I'm just not ready for this to be over for me yet."

Sadness rushed over me. In her heart of hearts, she knows, but she's mature enough to know that she's not ready to know. I did not confirm or deny for now, but I fear her days are numbered. Still, she's making a big push for both an iPod Touch and a Nook for Christmas this year. When I say that those are two expensive gifts and that she can't ask for both, she says, "But Mom, Santa won't mind how much it costs!"

What a tangled web we weave!

No comments: