Thursday, May 5, 2011

the wisdom of finn

Last week, I had the opportunity to ask Finn how he was feeling about Uncle Griff's death. Kids are so resilient and they do move on so quickly - a blessing for sure - but I want them to know that we're available to talk about this, or anything, at anytime. While coloring with chalk on the driveway (we were drawing an elaborate mural of Whoa-Whoa) I asked.

"How are you feeling about Uncle Griff?"

"Sad," he said.

"Was it hard for you to be at his funeral with so many people who were so sad?"

"Yeah," he answered.

"How did it make you feel when you were there?"

"Sad. It was bad," he commented. "But it was the worst for Nana. I was so sad for Nana because she lost her son."

"I know," I said. "Come here and hug me."

"Why do you want to hug me?" he said. "Did you like what I said?"

"Yes I did," I answered. "But I want to hug you because I have a son to hug."

And right there on the driveway, surrounded by chalk drawings and dust, we hugged like crazy. Because we could.

No comments: