Wednesday, February 16, 2011

reserved for party

You gotta love when, as the mom, you're the funniest thing that happens at your child's birthday party. Riley had ten or so good buds join her for a showing of Gnomeo and Juliet this Sunday in honor of her big day and now I can officially say that Birthday Palooza has ended.

But, Birthday Palooza insisted on going out with a bang. During our one (miraculous, huh?) trip to the bathroom, I stayed behind to wait for the last little gal. At that moment, while standing outside the bathroom, I had the strangest sensation that everyone around was smiling at me. "What a friendly place!" I thought.

As we walked back to the theater together, my young friend said, "Um, Miss Molly?"

I said, "Yes?"

She said, "You have a sign taped on your back."

"I do?" I chuckled and stretched to remove it.

And there it was, the cause of all the smiles, in giant black letters: RESERVED FOR PARTY.

Funnily, I am totally grateful for this moment! I have gotten more laughter and stress relief from reliving it all week than I could have ever imagined. I keep thinking about in so many ways. It's just plain funny to have a sign on your back. It's pretty hilarious to ponder my partying self hanging with Steve Martin and Dan Akroyd as one of the "wild and crazy guys." And then I think, maybe it's a sign from above. Maybe it's a reminder to chill out and enjoy life more...be ready for anything, you know?

And then I think, "Naw, it's just $@#!& funny!"

No comments: